Serving Skagit,
Island, and
Whatcom Counties
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100

I was Arrested for DUI in Skagit County. Now What do I do?

The very first thing you must do is to make sure you know when your court date will scheduled. If you were arrested by the Washington State Patrol or the Skagit County Sherriff's Office you will need to be in court the next day. If the next day is a weekend or holiday, then the following Monday. In most circumstances, you will be required by law arraigned the next business day.

If you were arrested or cited for DUI by the police departments for Anacortes, Burlington, Mt. Vernon or Sedro Woolley you will likely be told to appear in a week or two for the weekly calendar for the Municipal Court of each city.

Apart from appearing in court, you should request a hearing from the Department of Licensing. If you do not request a hearing your license will be suspended for at least 90 days. If you refused the breath test your license could be suspended for at least a year. The procedure to request the hearing is simple; send in the form provided by the arresting officer. Make sure it is properly filled out and sent with a check for $375 to DOL.

And, if you have not done so, call an attorney. When you arrive in court the judge will tell you to obtain an attorney. The consequences to your life if you are convicted of a DUI can be extremely disruptive. This is not something you should do on you own.