Serving Skagit,
Island, and
Whatcom Counties
National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers Top 100

Firearm Rights Restoration

A criminal conviction can affect your ability to possess a firearm. Any felony conviction or a conviction for a crime of domestic violence will result in losing your right to possess a firearm. Fortunately, you can restore your firearm rights after a conviction under most circumstances.  Powers Law Group can reinstate your right to bear arms so that you can hunt or legally possess a firearm.

The Process

Begin by calling our office. Please be prepared to provide your full legal name, date of birth, and the date and county of your convictions. Our office will check to determine your eligibility. If you are eligible, we will start working on your paperwork after payment. Once we have drafted your petition, you will come in to the office to sign it. We will submit it to the court for you; you do not have to appear in court. Once the prosecutor and the judge sign the petition, we will notify you that your paperwork has been filed. You should be able to purchase and possess a firearm about 60 days after the judge signs the petition. This gives the federal government, including the ATF and FBI, time to process the paperwork.


You are ineligible to restore your firearms rights if you have been convicted of a Class A Felony or a sex offense.

For more information about current firearm rights legislation, please read my latest blog post here.

When Can I Petition to Reinstate My Firearm Rights?

The length of time that is required to wait to reinstate your right to possess a firearm depends on the conviction. It can be between three to five years since the date of conviction. It is also important that there have NO other criminal convictions during the required time period. The Powers Law Group has years of experience of petitioning the courts of Skagit County and Island County to restore the gun rights of eligible citizens. We can begin the process immediately. It will usually take less than 60 days. Read below to determine if you qualify and contact our office to schedule a consultation.

[Back to top]

What Are the Requirements to Reinstate After Being Convicted of a Felony?

You must have FIVE consecutive years free of a criminal conviction since you were convicted, but some felonies will prohibit you from possessing firearms forever. These crimes are any sex offense or any Class “A” felony.

[Back to top]

What Are the Requirements to Restore My Gun Rights After Being Convicted of a Domestic Violence Crime?

If you were convicted of a crime of domestic violence and it was not a felony, you must have THREE consecutive years of crime-free history. This includes crimes such as Assault in the Fourth Degree or Malicious Mischief in the Third Degree if they are tagged as DV.

Many times, the prosecution will dismiss the Domestic Violence finding of a charge, but the federal government still flags the crime as Domestic Violence.  If this is your situation, you will still need to petition the court to restore your gun rights.

[Back to top]

Do I Have to Appear in Court?

No, Powers Law Group will handle the whole process for you! You will need to sign the petition in our office.

[Back to top]